Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Sanity Needed!!

Help!

I have lost my mind. 

I was reading through the posts on the Dhahran women's facebook page, and somebody posted the following picture with this comment:


"Here is the picture of the darling puppy we rescued on Friday. I think he may be about 2 months old. Friendly, soft, gentle, but not potty trained yet!  He needs a home. He is lonely and wants a family." 


I KNOW it does not make any sense, and I KNOW it's a bad idea, but I DESPERATELY WANT THIS DOG!  It is all I can think about all day long. Agh!  HELP!

Here are some reasons why this would be a bad idea, E:

1) I already have three small, demanding, energy- and attention-requiring children.   (This should be enough, but I'll list some more for fun.)

2) This dog is not potty trained.  (I already have two in diapers!  No more poop!  No more wee wees!)

3) Our house is small and has a TINY yard.  (This is no place for dogs; Khaki hated it when we first moved here. )

4) What in the world would we do with him on repat?  He would either have to be boarded for a month twice a year, or we would have to farm him out to friends.  (Hardly fair to a new puppy, especially right after we got him.)

5)  Graycie would never forgive me. 

Yes, I know all these things!  But I keep thinking about how this dog needs a home, and how he's probably really soft and has that sweet puppy smell.  He looks so sweet.  He is still not adopted yet (I keep checking and checking!  Agh!) We have a lot to give a dog.  And if we got him now and he lived (say) 15 years, he would be checking out about the same time the kids were headed to college, and then Mike and I would be free and clear.  (Which would be better than getting another dog when the kids are older, because then we would be stuck with the family dog as empty-nesters wanting to travel.) 

I think I would feel better if someone would just go on and adopt him, because then it would no longer be an option.  Not that it's really an option now.  It's not an option!  But here I am, still entertaining the idea.  

How do I shake this?   

2 comments:

  1. Good luck and let me know when you do! I have dog fever myself and agree it makes no sense right now and I don't even have two of your reasons why not! What does Mike say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike's exact words were, "NO."

    I am powering through the insanity, and I will admit that it is going away, but we really need a puppy to eat up all the crumbs under the table after every meal!

    ReplyDelete