Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Transit of Venus

Did anyone get to see the transit of Venus?



We did!  It was almost finished when the Sun rose this morning.  The Sun rises at (yes) !! 4:45 !! here , and Lawrence was up by 5:something so we all dragged out of bed and I pulled the telescope down to the sidewalk in front of our house.  It was really great to see it, but I accidentally melted our eyepieces because we don't have a Sun filter.  ("What is that funny smell?  Why is the telescope smoking?"  Um, yeah, brilliant astronomer here, basically caught her own telescope on fire while pointing it at the Sun.  (Which, incidentally, you are not supposed to do.  See the Shamals post.))  Won't be admitting that one in my next job interview.

This is an image of the Sun.  Venus is passing in front of the Sun.  It is the small black dot on the right. 

So I say "we" but I really mean me, Mike, and Lawrence.  Catherine was taking her morning nap, and Everett didn't participate in this momentous event because he refused to put on his shoes.  So when his grandkids ask him, "Granddaddy, did you get to see the last transit of Venus, more than 100 years ago?"  he'll have to say "No, I didn't because I wouldn't put on my shoes."  Ha!  Yay, three years old!


Sulking. 
Anyway, it was a fun diversion, and our lovely next-door neighbors came over with their kids to see, and their houseboy, too.  I love how everyone loves astronomy.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment