Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Cooking an egg on the sidewalk

How hot is it here?  Today we asked the big question:

               Is it hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk? 

And we got the answer:

               Hmm.  Sort of. 

               Or perhaps I should say, "almost." 

Today I let the boys crack eggs on our backyard sidewalk to see if they would cook.  (We are REALLY bored.  Can you tell?  There is not much to do here when it gets hot outside.)  This was more of an experiement for me and not for them.  For them, it was an adventure in How To Crack An Egg.  After that, they were no longer terribly interested in what happened to the eggs' insides.  But I was!  I was interested enough to go get our digital thermometer in a nerdy attempt to actually get some real data.  Here are our results:





The egg on the sidewalk got hot and dried out.  I don't think it ever actually cooked. 



The egg on the foil congealed, but the white didn't turn white. 

Our digital thermometer maxed out at 149.9 degrees on the sidewalk...yikes, that's hot!  But apparently not QUITE hot enough to really cook something.  Guess I'll stick to the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment