Friday, February 10, 2012

First Sunburn of the Season

This weekend was very slow because the car we have been borrowing broke down.  So we were really, truly stranded!  I'm really not sure how new people who come without knowing anyone make it here in their first weeks.  Even getting food is a major challenge without the car.  So we were stuck at the house and limited to places we could walk.  

One of the nice things about being here is that there are tons of playgrounds.  And they are usually pretty good!  Good equipment (I've only seen one that I thought was in poor repair), and they all have sand around them, rather than the typical Charlotte wood chips.  We have a great playground about 5 houses down from us, and so since we were stuck anyway, after lunch on Friday (which is like Sunday), we took the kids there to get some exercise.  

At the end of our driveway, walking to the playground.  Nice choice of socks, son.

Our little park:  Salamiyah Road Playground

Everett loves to take things up to the top of the slide - like his umbrella and his shoes - and slide them down.

It was about 80 and sunny, a BEAUTIFUL day, with a light breeze and nice blue skies.  (The nice blue skies part is good, because half the time here the skies are yellow with dust.)  We stayed at the park for THREE HOURS before we had to drag the kids away for naps.  I am still amazed by that - it's very common for us to stay hours and hours at the playgrounds here.  It's because of the sand!  They get tired of the playground equipment, so they play in the sand, and when they get tired of that they go back to the playground equipment.  We also bring their scooters, so they can scoot around on the sidewalk.  We put sunscreen on the kids, but not on us, and guess what!  Mike and I both got red - our first sunburns of the season!  On February 10th!  Although most of the locals here say enjoy it now before it becomes unbearable in the summer, I am looking forward to it.  I am so cold-blooded (Mike calls me a lizard and says I need to sun on a rock to get warm) I say bring it on!  I challenge Arabia to be too hot for me!  (Well, as long as the baby is already born.  Not sure I really want 125 degrees and pregnant.)  

Lawrence brought his car this time.

It was so sunny, we all needed a (toddler) hat!


No comments:

Post a Comment