Saturday, February 25, 2012

Censored



Unfortunately, I have removed the second part of the abaya post.  Mike felt that it was too negative toward Arabic culture, and apparently "THEY" are watching.  

They read all our emails and monitor all our internet traffic.  They know and take note when we accidentally go to a blocked website, like Netflix.  They monitor our facebook posts and have keep tabs on what I post on the blog.  They have tapped our phone lines and listen to all  phone conversations.  If they don't like what we do or what they hear, Mike can lose his job.  

This is a real blow.  So much for honestly telling it like it is.  From now on, I suppose I will join the ranks of the various state-run media outlets, and report about how living in Saudia Arabia is perfect and wonderful, with sunshine and fairies and happy leprechauns dancing on rainbows. 

So it's a joy to get the privilege to wear my abaya, and the road to Khobar from camp is the most beautiful road I've ever seen.  Everyone here loves the government and appreciates the fact that they are so loving toward and protective of their women.  

I suppose nobody back home wants to hear all the negative stuff anyway.  But if you want the real story, I'll be happy to tell you in person when we're back in the land where we gratefully acknowledge that people gave up their lives for certain unalienable rights, like free speech. 


3 comments:

  1. I just want to scoop you up and bring you back home Elisabeth. I know this final stage of pregnancy isn't pleasant in the best of circumstances. Please know that your friends and family back home are praying for you, thinking of you and don't mind hearing negative things at all. Venting is healthy!

    You daffodils are blooming in your yard back home. Wish I could pick a bunch and send them to you to brighten your day. They remind me of seeing you and the boys playing in the yard.

    One of my favorite quotes from a Disney film other than Aladdin...

    “Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh

    Love from Charlotte,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess you can't get the show "Liberty's Kids." Thinking of you today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should work out a code using the rule book from 7 Wonders ;)

    ReplyDelete