Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Baby Update

T-minus 17 days.  Wow.  Here we go!

Baby Girl is doing great.  She weighs approximately 3 kg, plus or minus 500 g.  (That’s 6 lb 6 oz, plus or minus a pound.)  My doctor visits are pretty dull…they just check out the baby on the low-tech ultrasound machine and say ‘everything looks great!  Come back in a week!”  Here is a picture of one of the ultrasounds.  I never did get the scanner to work, so I just took a picture of the picture.  You really have to use your imagination.  You’re looking at her face.  (Clearly.) (That was sarcastic.)

Maybe this helps?

I am also doing well and feeling good.  I am tired a lot, but probably mostly because I am hauling two 30-lb boys up and down the stairs more often than I would like.  Sleeping is difficult, but I was expecting that.  All I’ve got is a few ugly varicose veins, but everything else seems good.  I don’t even have cankles! 
I got a nice compliment from a friend yesterday that I don’t look pregnant at all from the back.  Here is a belly picture of me from yesterday.  Am I a whale??  (I sure feel like it!)  Judge for yourself.  I feel like I waddle, but my friend swears that I don’t.  I’m glad she thinks so!  

Honestly, it really doesn’t feel like we are getting ready to have a baby.  I don’t think I am mentally in the right place yet.  We have been so busy with getting settled in here and dealing with the shipment, that this pregnancy has really fallen by the wayside.  It’s just been an extra inconvenience on top of everything else.  I have not had a good chance to revel in the uniqueness of my situation, nor to contemplate the enormous ramifications of what’s getting ready to happen.  Plus, I am used to seeing my beloved doctor once a week at this point.  Chatting with his nurses and the receptionist, going through the routine of an appointment, even the smell of his office seemed anticipatory before.  Without all that, it’s easy to think that this really isn’t about to happen.  But it is!  And soon!  I better get my mind in the right place, pronto.  

We’ll keep everyone posted on any new developments.  Mike says I am not going to go any time soon, because I am always exhausted and I have not had that burst of last-minute energy.  You know, the kind that kicks you into gear to take a sledgehammer and crowbar to your moldy bathroom tile walls because they desperately need to be replaced, all on the day before your son is born.  Or the kind that gets you to drag an 8x10 wool rug down the stairs and out onto the driveway, and proceed to wash it with a hose and Woolite the day before your second son is born.  He’s on the lookout for the next big domestic project….but I’ve got nothing.  Yet.  

1 comment:

  1. Sending good thoughts your way for the delivery. So glad your stuff has arrived and you are finally able to settle in. Take care and check out Facebook if you get a chance-Nathan started crawling on Sunday. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete