Sunday, April 28, 2013

Good News and Bad News

The good news is that the ban on women riding bikes has been lifted!  Yeah!

Oh, oops, I didn't realize there was a ban.  I've been riding my bike here ever since we got here.  I guess it's different on camp.  But it does explain a lot about the crazy stares I get when I'm on my bike!

A male relative should be present to provide prompt assistance in case of falls or accidents

Women still have to wear an abaya while riding, they must be accompanied by a male guardian, and they must only ride for leisure, not for transportation.  Small steps, people.  

The bad news is that they are getting ready to ban pork and possibly alcohol in Bahrain.  Not that we go there a whole heck of a lot anyway, but still, at least the option is there.  What this really means is that everybody who does go there is going to stock up on pork and hoard it, so when we finally make it over, there will be none left anyway.  Oh well, only 7 weeks until Stateside.  I think I can live without bacon for 7 more weeks.  (I think.)



No comments:

Post a Comment